Yesterday I gave GNOME 3 a try. So in the morning I had some time to set it up (I was standby to help students, so not realy time to get usefull things done, but enough the setup GNOME).
The overview: (sorry for the short post, but I do not have a lot of time):
This is on ubuntu 11.10
- It’s fast and very smooth. (with the right themes)
- Gnome extensions page is very nice. It works better then anything else I saw so far. (though notification of extension update could be better)
- It is good looking.
- It works in a manner matching how I normally use my desktop. (dynamic workspaces, etc)
- Inconsistent mouse/keyboard preference. You can, luckely, use the keyboard for most things.. but not for selecting a window in workspaces overview (if you hit win-key).
Could improve this with a plugin.
- Some themes are very slow.
- No semantic search. Installed tracker, but it did not intergrate.
btw, tracker is a piece of _crap_. It completely slows down your pc, every G*!@# thing I do causes it to completely freak out my harddrive. I moved a view files, opened iotop and it was pulling 30mbyte/sec from tracker-store.. (wth)
- You need gnome-tweak todo normal stuff.
- Some plugins are magically not working. without any message.
- alt-f2 is limited (compared to gmrun)
- Multi monitor setups.. (I won’t even start on this). Even setting primary monitor I had todo on the console……..
- Cannot configure touchpad.
- Gnome-terminal does not remember that I do not want a menu bar.
- Complete X crash when trying to open EOG. (this is a stopper for me) This is probly intel’s driver issue..
[ 83910.400] 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x26) [0x460566]
[ 83910.400] 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x64b7a) [0x464b7a]
[ 83910.400] 2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f4eed3ce000+0x10060) [0x7f4eed3de060]
[ 83910.400] 3: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x7f4eec2e9000+0x137c1e) [0x7f4eec420c1e]
[ 83910.400] 4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so (0x7f4eea50e000+0x11346) [0x7f4eea51f346]
[ 83910.400] 5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so (0x7f4eea50e000+0x12f27) [0x7f4eea520f27]
[ 83910.400] 6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so (0x7f4eea50e000+0x28e24) [0x7f4eea536e24]
[ 83910.400] 7: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0xe082c) [0x4e082c]
[ 83910.401] 8: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x2c87e) [0x42c87e]
[ 83910.401] 9: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x2fb89) [0x42fb89]
[ 83910.401] 10: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x232fe) [0x4232fe]
[ 83910.401] 11: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xed) [0x7f4eec30a30d]
[ 83910.401] 12: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x235ed) [0x4235ed]
[ 83910.401] Bus error at address 0x7f4ed49aefb0
Actually I have a lot more, but meeting time.