I tried ubuntu 11.10 beta on my laptop (amd k345 + 6 gig ram) and it been a really disappointing trip.
(I don’t have time write a long story, so bulletpoints for now)
- Looks better. lightDM looks nice.
- Unity feels more polished then in previous version.
- Unity 2d looks good and works nicely similar as the 3d version.
- Installation was buggy. (hanged after network on first time, could not find kernel the second time (wth?))
- Booting laptop takes ages (several minutes) it just seems to wait doing nothing.
- Energy usage is high: 11-12W (without wifi) vs. 8-9W previously. This is because of X now waking up the cpu 60 time a sec?
- STA-broadcom wifi drivers do not work. Opensource drivers are very power hungry (14W with wifi vs. 9-10W with wifi previously).
- 2d ubuntu shows a 1px line on top of the screen full of corruption (see screenshot below)
- 3d ubuntu: Alt-tab (application switcher) stays on the screen randomly. (see screenshot)
- 3d ubuntu: Application Z ordering is screwy. terminal can be on-top of dash (see screenshot).
- 3d ubuntu: Gets slow after 30-40 minutes of use. Animations are jumpy. (could be video card driver.. it is ati after all)