I spend this morning and part of last night working on writing my own “Date” widget.
I used to use EggDataTime, but it had some bugs:
- Don’t show date in propper localisation. This was hardcoded to <year>-<month>-<day>
- Setting month using property, changed the hour (or visa versa, don’t remember).
- Hiding the time part of the widget, stopped the date widget from working correct.
- A lot of unneeded signals are triggered, even if nothing changed.
- The popup easily pops up outside the monitor. (if the widget is located near the bottom).
- No, no-date possibility.
My own is simple, and does not allow you to enter a date (as text) and have that parsed. But it does use strftime to print the date in the correct localisation and has a working no-date option. The popup also understands monitor size, and tries to stay on the monitor.
But getting to the point, in what state is libegg? is it wise to use widgets from it? Are there future plans?
Edit: screenshot (yes I run my desktop in english, so it is indeed in american format)